Iâ€™ve heard of Akismet for quite some time. At that time, I thought the amount of comment spam on my blog is still at acceptable level (once or twice per week). Now, Iâ€™m receiving few of them each day! Iâ€™m really too lazy to delete them everyday. Hence, Akismet!
- Register yourself at WordPress.com
- Login to your WordPress.com, and then go to â€œMy Accountâ€ to get your API Key. (Yes, you are allowed to use your WordPress.com API Key for your external sites)
- Download the plugin at Akismet download page.
- Upload your plugin file then activate it.
- Key in your API Key to Akismet configuration page (You will know where this is after you activate it).
Be aware that the plugin sends your comments to Akismet server to check if itâ€™s a spam. Also aware that if you mark a comment as spam, the information will also be sent to Akismet server.
I see it as a community approach to fight spam rather than a privacy issue. So, join me to help fight spam (and also get less spam on your blog)!
If my article helped you solved your problem, consider buy me a beer!