Windows XP: I was trying to start my apache web server but it seems like some other application has stolen my port 80. I never had this problem before.
After a few searches I learned a few commands that helped me to identify which process that actually listening to port 80.
- Go to command prompt (Start > Run > cmd)
- Type in: netstat -aon
- You will see a list of IP numbers, port numbers and the process ID (PID).
- Look for the row with 127.0.0.1:80 and remember the process ID.
- Open up Task Manager (Start > Run > taskmgr)
- Go to Process tab, click View > Select Columns...
- Tick PID (Process Identifier)
- Search the process that has the same process ID shown in netstat and you will find the culprit!
For my case, it's the Skype that occupied my port 80. I later found out that it can be disabled in the options menu.
If my article helped you solved your problem, consider buy me a beer!